Software Foundation Course is developed by e-Yantra, to offer Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) for individuals from varying backgrounds. The course content is the first part of a 2-part course derived from the M.Tech. semester long course entitled “Software Foundation Lab” under CSE Department, IIT Bombay
. This is a compulsory course that introduces students to the Linux Operating System and the world of free and open source software (FOSS). The course creates awareness about Free and Open-Source Software systems and equips one to contribute to open source projects.
The world over, academic environments prefer the use of Open Source software. Many in industry don’t realise that the considerable cost advantages of FOSS - especially in the context of startups where budgets are small. Interestingly, many large organisations also are switching over to FOSS to cut costs. We encourage interested participants to take full advantage of the course no matter what their inclination - academics, startups or industry at large.
Our Courses are offered along with a challenging activity to help you hone your acquired skills - as a “mini-challenge”.
- Introduction to Linux OS and its powerful command-line shell utilities like Bash
- SED (Stream Editor), AWK, Regular expressions
- Git - version control and its Advanced features
- Networking commands
- Python Programming and its advanced aspects
- Introduce the power of “Project-Based Learning”
- Learn new technologies at a faster pace
- Contribute to Open-Source projects
- Get exposure to a wide range of technical skills